Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Anthology part 1




I thought that the first part of the anthology was very interesting because you could see how other people in the class write and how they came up with their topic for the papers. It was interesting that we all read the same essays and when we decided what topic to write about they were all different from each other but in some since they had a few of the same points. They essays also showed how the ideas of the topic were organized to get the main point of the paper across. There were a few essays had similar ideas but for the most part they all had different main focuses that were used to get the point of the essays across.
One of the essays that I thought had a good point was Cally’s Individuality essay. She said” humans are by definition competitive. Keeping up with the Joneses is the American dream.
We have dream jobs, dream houses, dream cars, and dream mates.” This is so true because we always want the latest and greatest technologies to make us seem like we are the most popular or to get another person’s attention. And as our society keeps advancing without end and we want the coolest things. An example of this was when Apple first came out with the iPod. I remember I purchased the first kind that Apple made. I thought it was the best kind of mp3 player ever with its one gigabyte of memory, I had it filled up in two seconds. At first I was the one who had the best music player and this made me feel like I was the coolest person on the planet. Then a week later they came out with another nano that could hold 4 gigabytes. And all of my friends went out and purchased one. So I then wanted it because it could hold more songs and my iPod was the older version so I no longer had the best mp3 player. Then Apple took off with the idea by making all kinds of styles and colors with different sizes of memory. So after awhile I purchased the latest and greatest 16 gigabyte iPod. Again I thought I had the best and I would never need to buy another one because it was the newest style. But a few weeks after I had my new iPod, Apple made a newer and cooler iPod with a touch screen. I was a little made because the iPod I got wasn’t ever close to being as fancy as the newer IPod. And the cycle will probably keep going. So this shows that we do want the newer technologies because our friends get the more technologically advanced things and this makes us jealous.
Anyways I thought that the essays were interesting because it gave me an idea if I have been writing the same style as everyone else or not. I think that it is interesting how we develop different ways of getting our topics and what style we use to get our point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment